The University of Tokyo Graduate School of Frontier Sciences International Liaison Office

The University of Tokyo Graduate School of Frontier Sciences International Liaison Office
TOP >  Exchange Programs >  Outgoing: Exchange Program >  Procedures

Exchange Programs

The University of Tokyo
Graduate School of Frontier Sciences, The University of Tokyo


1) Procedure

1. Choose a university you want to study at among the list of partner institutions.
2. Prepare application materials in accordance with the designated schedule of each university. Application materials must be submitted to the International Liaison Office at the latest one month prior to the application due date which is shown on each university’s website.
3. Try to obtain a higher TOEFL score.

2) Application materials

All materials must be prepared in English.

1. Application forms (designated by each university)
2. Transcripts of academic record certifying the grades of undergraduate course and master’s coursework
3. Certificate of graduation (bachelor course)
4. Certificate of Registration (current course at GSFS)
5. Research plan (within three pages, A4 )
6. TOEFL score sheet ( over iBT 79 is preferred)
7. Recommendation letter from your supervising professor
8. Others if any

3) Scholarships

There are scholarships available for studying abroad, you need to apply either through UTokyo or directly to the private foundation. You can check the general scholarship information from the website below.  (Japanese only)

You may apply through UTokyo.

Go Global Scholarships (short/ S-short study)

Keidanren Ishizaka Memorial Foundation

KDDI foundation


The details on Frontier-Net.

4)Study Abroad Insurance

GSFS students who are going to study abroad on any exchange program organized by UTokyo or GSFS for up to one year must take out the following overseas travel insurance.

1. Insurance category Liability Insurance (“Gakkensai”)/Study Abroad Insurance
2. Eligibility GSFS students who are covered by “Gakkensai”
3. Coverage Death or physical disability benefits: up to 3 million yen
Physical impediment benefits: up to 3 million yen
Medical cost and rescue expenses: unlimited
Sickness death: up to 3 million yen
Personal belonging damage: up to 100 thousand yen
Liability: up to 100 million yen
Lost baggage: up to 30 thousand yen
Flight delay: attached
4. Procedures Download the form, fill it in and submit it via e-mail to the Student Affairs Team  40 days prior to your departure date. The designated form can be downloaded here.
An invoice will be sent to your residential address from the Agent. You make a payment according to the invoice at Yucho Bank.
Once the payment is confirmed, an insurance policy card will be sent to your residential address from the Agent. Share a copy of the card with your family. Bring the card with you when you go abroad.
5. Brochure The insurance details are here.
6. Changes The Agent may contact you by phone or e-mail. Be alert for their contacts.
If your returning date is changed after you leave Japan, contact the Agent directly and complete the procedures to extend your insurance period.
If your study abroad is not relevant to UTokyo agreement or memorandum, you can not take out this insurance.

5)Support Service

OSSMA (Overseas Student Safety Management Assistance) is a service that provides appropriate personal support 24/7, 365 days a year in Japanese, English or Chinese for any problems that may occur while abroad. OSSMA support includes dealing with problems due to flight delays, contacting necessary organizations in the event of theft or loss of passports, make reservations for doctors or overseas medical facilities and medical telephone interpreter. Note that this is not an insurance service.

Details and applications can be completed from the website below.

6) Before going abroad to study

Students are required to submit to the Student Affairs Team a Request for Approval to Study Abroad or leave of absence.

Please see here:

7) Report

After you finish studying abroad, you need to submit a freestyle report to International Liaison Office within one month after you come back. You can include your experience before, during and after studying abroad and life abroad ( students accommodation, introduction for a city, language, preparation for job hunting and theses).

Sample 1 (Japanese)

Sample 2 (Japanese)


Page top
TOPWhat's NewAbout ILOProspective International StudentsFor Current International StudentsExchange Programs
ScholarshipSummer ProgramLinkAccessPrivacy PolicySitemap
International Liaison Office
Graduate School of Frontier Sciences

Room 120, Environmental Studies Building
5-1-5 Kashiwanoha, Kashiwa, Chiba, Japan
Phone: 04-7136-4561 (From overseas: +81 4 7136 4561)
Fax: 04-7136-4560 (From overseas: +81 4 7136 4560)

Copyright (c) 2024. The University of Tokyo All Rights Reserved.