The University of Tokyo Graduate School of Frontier Sciences International Liaison Office

Graduate School of Frontier Sciences, The University of Tokyo
TOP >  Prospective International Students >  Degree-Seeking students >  China Scholarship Council

The University of Tokyo
Graduate School of Frontier Sciences, The University of Tokyo

China Scholarship Council

Application period for September 2018 has been over. The webpage will be updated in December 2018 for those wishing to enroll in September 2019. 

How to apply a letter of acceptance

The University of Tokyo accepts applications only once a year, from mid December to mid January, from those who have applied or are going to apply to a China Scholarship Council (CSC) scholarship. Be noted that the Graduate School of Frontier Sciences (GSFS) will not accept any applications except this period.


After GSFS officially assess submitted application materials, GSFS will issue a certificate of admission in February as an acceptance letter that an applicant would like to submit to CSC in order to complete scholarship application. This certificate describes tuition exemption.


Application materials

For those who would like to enter GSFS in September 2018, please read 1) Guidelines for application well and submit a complete set of application materials to the International Liaison Office. We do not accept any documents via e-mail.


1) Guidelines for application

2) Designated application form

3) Designated recommendation letter form


The 2018 AY policies of The University of Tokyo are:

  •  Only students from 60 of universities in China listed here are eligible to apply for doctoral course.
  •  Only students from 28 of universities in China listed here are eligible to apply for a research student status which students do not intend to proceed to a degree course.
  •  Applications for master course are not accepted.


Submission due:     January 17, 2018

Where to submit:    International Liaison Office, the Graduate School of Frontier Sciences



1) If I get a CSC scholarship, do I still have to take an entrance examination to enroll in a doctoral course?


A: Your admission would be also assessed when you file an application. Therefore, you don’t have to take any entrance examination to start your doctoral course if you pass both of GSFS and CSC assessment.


2) I have obtained a letter of acceptance directly from a professor at GSFS. But it mentions nothing about tuition exemption. Can the professor include a statement concerning the tuition exemption?


A: No. An official letter of acceptance is issued only by GSFS to qualified students, which mentions tuition exemption. Any applicant who may receive a CSC scholarship but did not follow these GSFS procedures will be required to take an entrance examination and pay tuition.


3) I enrolled as a CSC student, but I could not finish my Ph. D. course within three years and my CSC scholarship will end soon. If I extend my period of stay of study without CSC support, can I still receive a tuition exemption?


A: Unfortunately no. Students who enter a doctoral course of The University of Tokyo as “中国政府派遣大学院生” shall be exempted from paying tuition for a maximum three years which is regarded as the standard period required to complete doctoral courses, according to the university regulations. Such students become obliged to pay tuition afterwards.


4) I would like to apply for a research student status (non-degree seeking) “共同養成博士研究生”. Should I still follow this guideline?

A: Yes. The additional documents that vary by department are also necessary to submit for applicants who want to study at GSFS as a research student.


5) There is no place in which I can state how many years I want to study as a research student in the GSFS application form. What should I do?

A: You simply indicate “research student” in No. 14 item in the application form. According to the university regulations, the maximum period studying as a research student is one year. A research student could apply for extension of one more year maximum after enrolment. The procedures to extend a CSC scholarship that might happen in accordance with this study duration change must be done by each student with their responsibility.



Page top
TOPWhat's NewAbout ILOProspective International StudentsFor Current International StudentsExchange Programs
ScholarshipSummer ProgramLinkAccessPrivacy PolicySitemap
International Liaison Office
Graduate School of Frontier Sciences

Room 120, Environmental Studies Building
5-1-5 Kashiwanoha, Kashiwa, Chiba, Japan
Phone: 04-7136-4561 (From overseas: +81 4 7136 4561)
Fax: 04-7136-4560 (From overseas: +81 4 7136 4560)

Copyright (c) 2018. The University of Tokyo All Rights Reserved.