The University of Tokyo Graduate School of Frontier Sciences International Liaison Office

The University of Tokyo Graduate School of Frontier Sciences International Liaison Office
TOP >  For Current International Students >  Upon Graduation

The University of Tokyo
Graduate School of Frontier Sciences, The University of Tokyo

Upon Graduation

Procedures for Returning

1. Official Procedure

◆At the Municipal Office
Return your national health insurance card. If you forget the necessary procedures at a municipal office, they keep sending you bills and important documents on the health insurance.

◆Procedures for withdrawing from the national pension plan
Undertake procedures at the municipal office or social insurance office.

◆Notification of the accepting organization
Those who received landing permission, extension of period of stay, or other permissions relating to your stay as a mid- or long term resident in Japan after July 9, 2012 should submit the designated form to the Immigration Bureau. Please refer to the following website.

◆At the port of exit when leaving Japan
Return your Residence Card or Alien Registration Card and report an immigration officer that you are leaving Japan. Then the officer will stamp on your passport. If you do not do this, you would be recorded as an illegal resident in Japan.


2. Procedures at the University

Please return cards such as a student card to the appropriate office and library. Those who have enrolled in the MEXT Mutual Society of Health Insurance, the Student Mutual Benefit, or Co-op, those who have a credit card (Tuo card) should undertake the appropriate cancellation procedures. Share capital will be returned in full if Co-op cancellation procedures are undertaken.


3. Off-Campus Procedures

◆Post Office
Please inform the local post office of your moving. Post will be forwarded to a new address for a fixed period of time if the address is in Japan, however post cannot be forwarded if the address is not in Japan. Please consult the affiliated office and provide the post office with a domestic contact address if there is a possibility that important documents such as invoices will arrive after you leave Japan.


Although most Japanese banks do not currently charge account maintenance fees,many banks are considering charging an account maintenance fee. Be sure to close your bank account before returning to your country.Unfortunately, there are many types of fraud cases in Japan. It is said that many of the bank accounts used in the fraud cases were made by international students during their stay in Japan and sold to someone when they returned to their country. Close your bank account before leaving Japan and never sell your account to anyone. Selling your bank account is taking a part in a crime.

Give the owner and real estate agent two months notice of your intention to move out once the date of your move has been decided. Note that, depending on the state of the rooms at the time of moving out, the full amount of the deposit may not reimburse. Those enrolled in “Comprehensive Renter’s Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in Japan” should undertake withdrawal procedures at the International Students and Researchers Support Group (Hongo Campus).

Inform the utility companies and terminate contracts once the date of move has been decided. It is possible to have someone come and read meters on the day of your departure and to settle outstanding bills on the spot. Those leaving Japan must settle their bills on the day they move out of their accommodation.

Enquire with a local NTT office regarding settlement of bills as soon as possible you’re your departure date has been decided.
From a fixed-line telephone 116 (no area code)
From cell phones or PHS 0120-116000

Regarding cell phone, bring your cell phone to a shop of your cell phone company and cancel the service. It will take some time to complete the procedures.


4. Alumni Association

The following alumni associations have been set up by international students who graduated from the University of Tokyo. We thoroughly recommend you contact their offices and sign up. The associations provide information relating to the university and run various exchanges and activities.

> Todai Beijing Friendship Association (China)
> Shanghai Icho-kai (China)
> University of Tokyo Alumni Association (Thailand)
> Southern California Todai-Kai (alumni association centered on Los Angeles, USA)
> NY Icho-kai (alumni association centered on New York, USA)

University of Tokyo Alumni Akamon Gakuyukai
e-mail: gakuyukai


Please refer to the Handbook of Kashiwa Campus Life 2017 (p.127)

Page top
TOPWhat's NewAbout ILOProspective International StudentsFor Current International StudentsExchange Programs
ScholarshipSummer ProgramLinkAccessPrivacy PolicySitemap
International Liaison Office
Graduate School of Frontier Sciences

Room 120, Environmental Studies Building
5-1-5 Kashiwanoha, Kashiwa, Chiba, Japan
Phone: 04-7136-4561 (From overseas: +81 4 7136 4561)
Fax: 04-7136-4560 (From overseas: +81 4 7136 4560)

Copyright (c) 2021. The University of Tokyo All Rights Reserved.