The University of Tokyo Graduate School of Frontier Sciences International Liaison Office

The University of Tokyo Graduate School of Frontier Sciences International Liaison Office
TOP >  For Current International Students >  Social Security / Health Insurance

The University of Tokyo
Graduate School of Frontier Sciences, The University of Tokyo

Social Security / Health Insurance

NOTE: Remember to file for no income tax declaration, hikazei shinsei (非課税申請), if you had no income the previous year, every year from February to April (dates differ annually and there is a deadline) at the city hall, to qualify for the minimum premium rate of the National Health Insurance (around 1,400yen to 2,000yen per month).

National Health Insurance (NHI)

All international students who have a resident card and registered as a resident in Japan are eligible to purchase the National Health Insurance (NHI) plan. The University does not provide any health insurance plan, so the University expects all eligible students to purchase NHI. You can buy this insurance plan at the municipal office where you registered as a resident. As soon as you purchase it, an insurance card will be issued. Whenever you receive medical treatment for illness or injury, 70% of the cost will be automatically covered by NHI so you need to pay only 30% at the doctor’s office, clinic, or hospital by showing your insurance card. Dental treatment is also covered by NHI. But some kinds of treatment are not covered by NHI, so we recommend you talk with the doctor if the treatment you are going to receive is covered by NHI or not. Your family members can also covered provided you complete the necessary procedures at your municipal office when purchasing NHI.

You will receive an invoice for insurance premiums in June. You must pay the premiums to be insured. The premiums are decided according to your income in the previous year (From January 1 to December 31). Sometime between February and March, you must go to the municipal tax division of your municipal office for a declaration of income to determine the premium for the next fiscal year.Any scholarship is not regarded as your income. If you fail to make adeclaration of income at the municipal, you may be charged a much higher rate. If you have income in Japan, then you should expect your NHI premium to go up in the next year due to this income.

When you leave Japan, you must return your insurance card to the municipal office, otherwise you will continue to be invoiced. Please do remember to do this.

*Japanese fiscal year starts in April and ends in March.

IMAS: Inbound Medical Assistance Service for International Students at UTokyo

The University of Tokyo (UTokyo) provides the titled service: IMAS (Inbound Medical Assistance Service) through a specialist organization for international students.

Details of the service
<Standard Service>
・Telephone Consultation available 24/7, 365 days a year.
・Referral to an appropriate hospital.
・Interpretation service provided over the phone while in hospital or during transfer to hospital.
・Contacting the University if necessary
<Emergency insurance associate with IMAS>
・Arrangement of transportation to a medical facility or for transfer to another medical facility in Japan or in one’s home country.
・Contact to and assistance for family in one’s home country, etc.

For more details, please see the following website.

Do you know IMAS?

To use this service please complete the application form on the following website.

*Students who are not eligible for the fee to be paid by the University should complete the form and then apply for IMAS. The annual fee is JPY 1,540.

Personal Accident Insurance of Students Pursuing Education and Research (PAS)

When you enroll in the Graduate School of Frontier Sciences and receive a student ID, you are automatically covered by the PAS plan. In event of unexpected accidents during their educational and research activities at the University, a fixed amount of benefit will be paid once. For example, if you become injured during an experiment in the laboratory, and you need two days of treatment to recover, you will be paid JPY 3,000.

Personal Accident Insurance of Students Pursuing Education and Research (PAS) – Futai Gakusou

When you enroll in the Graduate School of Frontier Sciences and receive a student ID, you are eligible to buy this Futai Gakuso which covers daily life compensation. There are three types of compensation:

1) When you injure yourself or become sick
Cases in which you are hospitalized or go to a hospital for more than one day because you became ill in Japan, the 30% of the treatment that you are required to pay at the hospital after showing your NHI insurance card will be covered by the “Futai Gakusou”
2) Liability
Cases in which you injure someone else in an accident, or break something belonging to someone else, the “Futai Gakusou” will cover the compensation within the the limits of its regulations.
3) Additional expenses

If you purchase “Futai Gakusou”, it must be effective from the purchase date until your expected graduation.


  Insurance fee (one-time payment)  : JPY 11,500 for one year
JPY 20,130 for two years
JPY 28,780 for three years

This fee is effective as of October 2019 (Subject to Change)

It is very simple and convenient to enroll in Futai Gakusou through website.
For more details about Futai Gakusou and the website, please see the documents that we distribute at the International Students Orientation Guidance in April/September.
Where to apply:  Insurance Company

Declaring tax refund

Many students on “Student visa”, obtain work permits for part-time jobs.

1. For certain types of income under the “withholding tax system”, the employer is required to pay income tax and therefore will withhold at the time the income is paid to you.
If you have income form a part-time job, and your income tax was withheld, you may be able to get some or all of the tax withheld back by submitting a tax return.

Filing a tax return can be complicated, however in order to get a refund, you must file a tax return at the tax office.

2. In case your yearly income form your part-time job is lower than JPY 380,000, you will not get a tax refund.
So you do not need to file a tax return.

The tax office consider foreign students who rely solely on their scholarships as not having income.
Filing tax return is not necessary for people who do not have income, however for residence tax, you are required to declare your income at your city office.
You can declare no income if you do not have a part-time job.

Based on the amount you declare for the residence tax, the amount you must pay for National Health Insurance will be determined.
If you do not declare your residence tax on time, you may be requested to pay more than necessary.


The Kashiwa Campus Medical Center 

Health Service Center on Hongo Campus

The University of Tokyo Hospital



TOPWhat's NewAbout ILOProspective International StudentsFor Current International StudentsExchange Programs
ScholarshipSummer ProgramLinkAccessPrivacy PolicySitemap
International Liaison Office
Graduate School of Frontier Sciences

Room 120, Environmental Studies Building
5-1-5 Kashiwanoha, Kashiwa, Chiba, Japan
Phone: 04-7136-4561 (From overseas: +81 4 7136 4561)
Fax: 04-7136-4560 (From overseas: +81 4 7136 4560)

Copyright (c) 2021. The University of Tokyo All Rights Reserved.